Providing teacher training about age level development in general can help Bible teachers better reach and teach their students by understanding where they came from and how they are to develop next as well as their current characteristics and needs.
Click below to read about age-levels and teacher training:
- It's a Disservice Not to Train Teachers About the Age They Teach
- Age Level Understanding Helps Teachers Make Truths Relevant
- FAQ about Age Level Issues
Click below to find training resources for the following:
Clicking on the links below could take you to resources on other sites or to one of our affiliate stores. While seeking to choose sites and resources that are doctrinally sound, the Ministry Tools Resource Center makes no claim to total endorsement of any listing. Links to other sites will open in a new page to allow you to keep the list available to look at additional teacher training resources.
General Training About Age Levels
- FAQ about Age Level Issues
- How To Teach Multi-Age Sunday School
- Making Even Well-Known Truths Relevant (Worksheet based on this article listed below.)
- Teaching Tips For Multi-Age Classrooms
- The ABC's of Spiritual Growth: The secret to creating lifelong faith is understanding the ABCs of developmental issues
- Intergenerational Teaching - by Sally Michael at the Children Desiring God Conference 2007 (scroll down on that page); The MP3 audio of these seminars may be listened to online or can be downloaded --Free! Handouts can also be printed for the seminars.
- Working with Mixed Ages & Large Groups by Carol Kautz at the 2006 Greater Chicago Sunday School Association Conference (on CD)
- One Church, Four Generations: Understanding and Reaching All Ages in Your Church by Gary L. McIntosh
- Understanding People by Evangelical Training Association (ETA)
- Wholly Kids by LifeWay Church Resources
- Understanding Age Group Characteristics - This is a low cost 20 minute online seminar designed to equip you to teach specific characteristics of five age groups ranging from babies to young teens with printable notes and an audio presentation synced with slides by Child Evangelism Fellowship
Correspondence Course in Print Format, Independent Study:
- Understanding Students - Moody Bible Institute
"Explores the physical, mental, social, emotional, and spiritual characteristics of human development from birth through adulthood."
Group Training Sessions:
- Reaching All Age Levels Download by Ministry Tools Resource Center
This resource provides a PowerPoint Presentation you can use with Bible teachers of all age levels together in a group session. The presentation includes 3 breakout sessions wherein you break into groups based on the broad age being taught (preschool, grade school, teens, adults) to look at additional content provided on handouts and to discuss questions that personalize it.
- 13 Very ... Small Group Solutions for Kids by Standard Publishing - "ideal for use during adult small groups, at house churches, in Sunday school, and with evening programs in smaller churches. Sessions are geared to a range of ages, and there's almost no prep required."
- All-in-One Sunday School by Group Publishing - curriculum for mixed-age classes of children ages 4 through 12 - "will work in any ministry, but it's especially great for smaller churches that combine classes every Sunday. Also good for large churches that combine ages during summer and for any other multi-age class setting"
- All Together Now by Group Publishing - "for ministries with children aged 4 to 12 (Kindergarten to 6th Grade) ... great resource for smaller churches, midweek services, or anytime you have children of different ages together in church."
- Age Level Characteristics Download by Ministry Tools Resource Center
This resource looks at eleven age levels from birth through senior adults. For each age level you will find an introductory article about that age group, a one page overview of their age level characteristics, and a worksheet with the characteristics to use to assess one's teaching in light of their implications and determine steps to take for improvement.
- Make Truths Relevant for Students - By Understanding Age Level Characteristics & Needs by Ministry Tools Resource Center
Understanding age level developmental characteristics is a good starting point for tapping into the needs and interests of students. In this three page teacher training worksheet, based on the article Making Even Well-Known Truths Relevant, Bible teachers think about characteristics of God students most need to understand based on age developmental needs.
Adult Age Divisions: Early Childhood - Grade School - Youth (Teens) - Adults