The application is more than a conclusion to a Bible lesson. This part of the plan should look at the implications of what has been learned and seek to understand how it can be applied to life. Teachers can use a variety of methods to help students not only discuss what they could do but also practice applying it.
"Anyone who listens to the word but does not do what it says is like a man who looks at his face in a mirror and after looking at himself, goes away and immediately forgets what what he looks like. But the man who looks intently into the perfect law that gives freedom, and continues to do this, not forgetting what he has heard, but doing it -- he will be blessed in what he does." (James 1:22-25)
-- Make sure teachers get to the application part of the lesson. --
Clicking on the links below could take you to resources on other sites or to one of our affiliate stores. While seeking to choose sites and resources that are doctrinally sound, the Ministry Tools Resource Center makes no claim to total endorsement of any listing. Links to other sites will open in a new page to allow you to keep the list available to look at additional teacher training resources.
- 4 Tips for Helping Students Apply Bible Lessons to Life
- Application: More Than Just a Good Idea
- Application, Application, Application
- Bible Teaching Must Equal Bible Living
- Blend of the Natural & Supernatural in Bible Teaching
- Can We Ever Overemphasize Application?
- Conclusion or Application?
- Continue Learning Beyond Sunday School
- FAQ about Bible Lesson Application
- Helping Children Apply Biblical Teachings to Their Lives
- Helping Kids Do
- How to Apply the Bible, Part 1
- How to Apply the Bible, Part 2
- Personalize the Application
- How Deliberate to be About Application?
- The End Result of an Effective Bible Learning Process
- What is Application?
- What to Aim for in Application of a Bible lesson?
- Whose Responsibility is Bible Application?
- A Heart Response Centered on the Gospel - by David & Sally Michael at the Children Desiring God Conference 2009 (scroll down on that page); The mp3 audio of these seminars may be listened to online or can be downloaded
- How the Truth is Caught: Leading Application Time - by Linda McIntire at the Children Desiring God Conference 2007 - The MP3 audio of these seminars may be listened to online or can be downloaded -Free! Handouts can also be printed for the seminars. - targets children's classes; lays a lot of foundational principles more than the application part; some reference to a specific curriculum but most of the session does not refer to it
- Leading Application Time - by Jim Tomaszewski at the Children Desiring God Conference 2009 (scroll down on that page); The mp3 audio of these seminars may be listened to online or can be downloaded
- Reaching the Heart: The Importance of Application - by Sally Michael at the Children Desiring God Conference 2013 (scroll down on that page); The mp3 audio of these seminars may be listened to online or can be downloaded
- Teaching for Response - by David and Sally Michael at the Children Desiring God Conference - The MP3 audio of these seminars may be listened to online or can be downloaded ... geared to children's classes
- Applying the Bible to Your Pupil's Lives by Charles Sell at the GWCEA, Greater Washington Christian Education Association 2006
- Beyond Storytelling--Life-Changing Applications by Nancy Shields at the GWCEA, Greater Washington Christian Education Association 2007 (on CD and MP3)
- How To Apply the Bible by David R. Veerman - not specifically written for teachers but should prove to be helpful
- A Heart Response Centered on the Gospel - by David & Sally Michael at the Children Desiring God Conference 2009 (scroll down on that page); The video of these seminars may be watched online or can be downloaded --Free!
- Application: It's God's Idea, Not Merely a Good Idea by Ministry Tools Resource Center
In this four page teacher training worksheet Bible teachers will examine God's intent for application and look at the implications for Bible lesson preparation, methodology, and follow-up.
- Heart Transformation or Behavior Modification? by Ministry Tools Resource Center
This two page teacher training worksheet targeting teachers of children emphasizes how Bible teaching that simply applies natural principles of learning will yield natural results, mere behavior modification. Though God did design people to learn in certain ways, that is only the starting point.
Also Important in Bible Lessons: The Attention-Getting Part of the Lesson