Babies do learn. Do your nursery workers see themselves as more than babysitters? Many teachable moments arise when spending time with infants that can be used to point the children to God. Serving in this age division should be about more than playing and changing diapers. Train your nursery workders to be spiritual foundation builders in these young children's lives.
Clicking on the links below could take you to resources on other sites or to one of our affiliate stores. While seeking to choose sites and resources that are doctrinally sound, the Ministry Tools Resource Center makes no claim to total endorsement of any listing. Links to other sites will open in a new page to allow you to keep the list available to look at additional teacher training resources.
Infants: Birth to Age 2
- Baby Beginnings Nursery Smart Pages - Book, CD, DVD with Reproducible Articles & Forms by Sheryl Haystead (See the Table of Contents on that page.)
- 3 Ways to Use the Power of Touch with Babies
- 7 Reasons Why Your Church Nursery Service Is Vital To Your Church
- 12 Tips for Baby Spiritual Growth
- Active Learning in Cradle Roll
- Babies and the Bible
- Developmental Chart for Babies
- Early Childhood Matters ... Babies are built for learning
- Getting to Know Babies, Ones and Twos
- How to Say Babies Matter
- Let the Little Children Come
- More Than Babysitting
- Praying for Babies and their Families
- Spiritual and Moral Development in Kids
- Storytelling and Pre-Schoolers: Getting and holding the nursery child's attention?
- The Bible + Babies = Building Faith
- Tips for Nursery Teachers
- What Are Some Good Activities for Church Nursery Kids?
- Babies & Toddlers Do Learn by Jerry Martin at the 2009 Greater Chicago Sunday School Association Conference (on CD or MP3)
- Bible Basics for Babies by Christy Hager & Sheila Halasz at the 2006 Greater Chicago Sunday School Association Conference (on CD)
- Eleven Things You Gotta Know About Teaching Infants & Toddlers by Dr. John McMurphy at the NWCEC, Northwest Christian Education Conference 2008 (on CD and MP3)
- Teaching Babies & Toddlers by Mel Sattler at the 2010 Northwest Christian Education Conference (on CD or MP3)
- Baby Beginnings Nursery Kit: A Complete Resource for Creating a Great Nursery
- Babyfaith DVDs and Board Books
- Baby Miracle DVDs
- The Praise Baby Collection
- Let the Little Children Come Workbook by Ministry Tools Resource Center
Jesus knew that young children also needed His touch. He knew that they too needed to be directed toward God. He obviously knew that infants and toddlers do learn. This 55 page teacher training workbook will help you see your role with infants and toddlers as more of a foundation builder than a babysitter.
- Age Level Characteristics: Early Childhood Module Download by Ministry Tools Resource Center
One of the three early childhood age levels included in this resource relates to infants. For this age level you will find an introductory article about that age level, a one page overview of their age level characteristics, and a worksheet with the characteristics to use to assess one's teaching in light of their implications and determine steps to take to improve. The following article title represents this age level:
- So, you're in the Nursery. What difference can you make?
This worksheet would be especially helpful for the training of those with little experience around babies, including teen helpers. It will, however, serve as a good reminder for anybody working in the nursery.
(This module is from the Age Level Characteristics Download which includes 11 age brackets from infants to older adults.)
Other Early Childhood Resources: General - Toddlers - Pre-Primary