In teaching character development, teachers must be ever so careful to set the goal as Christ-like character, not mere self-improvement. They must also communicate that only through God's power, not self-effort, will students be able to change to become more like Jesus. The Holy Spirit develops the fruit of Christ-likeness within them.
Clicking on the links below could take you to resources on other sites or to one of our affiliate stores. While seeking to choose sites and resources that are doctrinally sound, the Ministry Tools Resource Center makes no claim to total endorsement of any listing. Links to other sites will open in a new page to allow you to keep the list available to look at additional teacher training resources.
- Character Education a Good Thing?
- Character Education a Good Thing? - Depends on the Standard
- Character Education a Good Thing? - Depends on the Means
- Character Education a Good Thing? - Depends on the Purpose
- Cultivating Godly Character
- Healthy Student Ministries are Character Transforming - though geared to youth ministry, Bible teachers can glean help from it
- Help Students Be Discerning
- The Pursuit of Christian Character (2 Peter 1:5-7) - This article is not about teaching for character development but does help in the understanding of it.
- What's Wrong With Character Education in Children's Ministry?
- Book: The Fruit of the Spirit Is Jesus in Me (Galatians 5:22) - for ages 3-7
- Border: Fruit of the Spirit Straight Borders
- Bulletin Board for Children: Fruit of the Spirit Bulletin Board Set
- DVDs: Character Builders - for kids
- Lessons for Adults: Character: Reclaiming Six Endangered Qualities - InterActions Series by Bill Hybels, Kevin G. Harney, Sherry Harney
- Lessons for Adults: Fruit of the Spirit - Phyllis J. LePeau , Jack Kuhatschek , Jacalyn Eyre , Stephen Eyre , Peter Scazzero
- Lessons for Adults: Fruit of the Spirit - LifeGuide Topical Series by Hazel Offner
- Lessons for Adults: The Fruit of the Spirit: Growing in Christian Character - Fisherman Bible Studies by Stuart Briscoe
- Lessons for Children: Character by God's Design: Diligence, Faithfulness, Gratitude (Volume 1) - Group Publishing - 13 Sunday school lessons for kids of all ages in one room
- Lessons for Children: Character by God's Design: Trust, Honesty, Obedience (Volume 2) - Group Publishing - 13 Sunday school lessons for kids of all ages in one room
- Lessons for Children: Kids of Integrity - though for parents, you can undoubtedly find ideas for the classroom
- The Teacher's Role in Discipling Students toward Christ-like Character & Conduct by Ministry Tools Resource Center
This worksheet can stand alone or be used in conjunction with the Teacher's Role in Discipling Students PowerPoint presentation as a break-out session or independent study.
- Tips for Teaching about Character Traits Worksheet by Ministry Tools Resource Center
Teacher Training Blog