Understanding the specific challenges faced by students with special needs could help Bible teachers know how to teach in ways that include them in the learning process along with everybody else. Click below or simply scroll down to find resources to help you understand the following special challenges:General Help with Special Needs
- Teacher Training Smart Pages--Book and CD-ROM - Book with Reproducible Articles & Forms by Sheryl Haystead (See the Table of Contents on that page for articles included on ADD/ADHD under Special Needs.)
- 50 Tips on the Classroom Management of Attention Deficit Disorder - Though not written for the Bible teaching class, these tips could prove to be helpful when applied to that setting.
- Attention Deficit Disorder Information
- How to Discipline Kids With ADHD
- How to Teach Children with ADHD
- In the Classroom: Ideas and Strategies for Kids with ADD and Learning Disabilities (not geared to church teaching but could be helpful)
- Kids with ADHD - How to Effectively Connect with Them
- Teaching Children with AD/HD
- What do you know about AD/HD?
- What is ADD?
- When ADHD Comes to Church
- Adult AD/HD: A Reader Friendly Guide to Identifying, Understanding, and Treating Adult Attention Deficit/Hyperactivity Disorder by Michele Novotni
- Attention Deficit Disorder: Helpful, Practical Information: A Guide for Parents & Educators by Elaine K. McEwan (from the perspective of a Christian educator)
- Managing Attention & Learning Disorders : Super Survival Strategies by Elaine K. McEwan (written by a Christian with ADD about adults)
- Of Different Minds: Seeing Your ADHD Child Through the Eyes of God by Maren Angelotti
- The Attention Deficit Child by Dr. Grant L. Martin (from the perspective of a Christian psychologist)
- Why A.D.H.D. Doesn't Mean Disaster by Walter L. Larimore, Diane Passno, Dennis Swanberg
- You & Your A.D.D. Child : How to Understand and Help Kids With Attention Deficit Disorder by Paul Warren & Jody Capehart (Christians giving their insights on ADD at home, in school and at church)
- Control Panel on the ADHD Dashboard - (This can be used as a tool for assessing when intervention is needed for the ADHD student.)
- 8 Parents Share What You Should Know About Autism
- 10 Scenarios a Volunteer Might Face While Teaching a Child with Autism
- Children's Ministry and Autism
- How Often Will I Meet a Child Diagnosed with Autism in My Ministry?
- Tips for Interacting With Individuals With Autism
- Training Volunteers To Include Children And Students With Autism
- What is Autism?
- Autism and Your Children's Ministry Podcast - That link allows you to listen to it from the ministry-to-children.com site. Click Here to open it as a mp3. Once you click on the link, you can copy the link in the address bar to pass the link on to your teachers.
- Autism and Your Church: Nurturing the Spiritual Growth of People with Autism Spectrum Disorders by Barbara J. Newman
- Including Students with Autism - site says free
Misc. Special Challenges
- Central Auditory Processing Disorder (CAPD): Special Needs: Central Auditory Processing Disorder
- Sensory Processing Disorder: Understanding Sensory Processing Disorder
Physical & Mental Disabilities
- Teacher Training Smart Pages--Book and CD-ROM - Book with Reproducible Articles & Forms by Sheryl Haystead (See the Table of Contents on that page for articles included on Hearing, Physical, Speech, Visual Disabilities under Special Needs.)
- How to Minister to Children With Hearing Impairment
- What are Some Common Signs of Learning Disabilities?
- Ministering to Families with Children with Disabilities - by Mary Horning at the Children Desiring God Conference 2005 (scroll down on that page); The MP3 audio of these seminars may be listened to online or can be downloaded --Free! Handouts can also be printed for the seminars.
- All God's Children by Joni Eareckson Tada
- Exceptional Teaching: A Comprehensive Guide for Including Students with Disabilities by Jim Pierson
- Helping Kids Include Kids with Disabilities by Barbara J. Newman
- Let All the Children Come to Me: A Practical Guide to Including Children with Disabilities in Your Church Ministries by MaLesa Breeding
- Including Students with Health Disorders and Physical Disabilities - site says free
- Including Students with Sensory (Sight & Hearing) Disabilities - site says free
- Transitioning Youth with Disabilities into Young Adult Programs - site says free
For General Help Go To: Including Students with Special Needs