One of our objectives as Bible teachers should be structuring for the inclusion of all students in the learning process and that includes students with special needs. Below you will find resources to help teacher gain a general understanding about special needs.
To understand some special challenges go to: Understanding Specific Challenges of Students with Special Needs Like ADHD, Autism, CAPD, Tourette Syndrome, Physical & Mental Disabilities
Also Read: All Students Have Special Needs
General Helps about Special Needs
- Special Needs Smart Pages: Advice, Answers, and Articles About Teaching Children with Special Needs - Book with Reproducible Articles & Forms by Joni & Friends
- Teacher Training Smart Pages--Book and CD-ROM - Book with Reproducible Articles & Forms by Sheryl Haystead (See the Table of Contents on that page for articles included on Special Needs.)
- 5 Key Elements to Consider to Make Your Ministry Inclusive
- 7 Tips for Modifying Lesson Plans for Children with Special Needs
- 13 Tips for Ministering to Kids with Disabilities
- Adapting Your Bible Lesson for Children with Special Needs - 5 Ways to Make Existing Curriculum More Inclusive
- Are You Ready for Kids With Special Needs?
- Dear Sunday School Teacher - a letter written as though from a child with disabilities
- How to Recognize Kids With Learning Disabilities
- Special Needs: How to Serve Children With Allergies
- Special Needs: Is Every Child Welcome In Your Ministry?
- That Bites - when students with special needs bite
- The Wandering Child
- Tips for Including Kids with Special Needs
- 10 Tips for Working With Special-Needs Teenagers
- Are You Ready for Kids With Special Needs?
- Ministering to Teenagers with Disabilities - Part 1
- Ministering to Teenagers with Disabilities - Part 2
About Working with Parents:
- Disability, Autism, and the Tender Mercy of Our God - by Brenda Fischer at the Children Desiring God Conference 2011 (scroll down on that page); The MP3 audio of these seminars may be listened to online or can be downloaded --Free! Handouts can also be printed for the seminars.
- Children's Ministry Pocket Guide To Special Needs, 10-Pack: Quick Tips To Reach Every Child by Group Publishing
- Every Child Welcome: A Ministry Handbook for Including Kids with Special Needs by Katie Wetherbee, Jolene Philo
- Helping Kids Include Kids with Disabilities by Barbara J Newman
- Let All the Children Come to Me: A Practical Guide to Including Children with Disabilities in Your Church Ministries by MaLesa Breeding
- Pathways to Belonging: Creating Inclusive Ministry Environments for All Ages by Joni and Friends
- Responding with Compassion: Navigating Challenging Behaviors in Special Needs Ministry by Joni and Friends
- Special Needs Ministry for Children: Creating a Welcoming Place for Families Whose Children Have Special Needs by Group Publishing
- Adapting and Creating Special Needs Lesson Materials - site says free
- Behavior Management in the Church - site says free
- Developing and Maintaining a Special Needs Classroom - site says free
- Disability Etiquette - site says free
- Helping Children Understand Disability - site says free
- Reaching Those with Special Needs - This is a free 38 minute online video presentation of a seminar with printable notes by Child Evangelism Fellowship.
Group Training, In-House:
Group Training at Conventions, Conferences:
- Joni and Friends Through the Roof Disability Ministry Summits - on east and west coasts
- Including Students with Special Challenges by Ministry Tools Resource Center
Students with special challenges should be loved and valued as students without disabilities. In this two page teacher training document teachers consider four ways to be better prepared to include students with special needs into the regular flow of the session.
Resources to Help Kids Relate with Kids Different from Them:
- Book: Helping Kids Include Kids With Disabilities by Barbara J. Newman
- Book: Just the Way You Are by Max Lucado - (teaches general concept of God's unconditional love & acceptance)
- Book: Treasure in an Oatmeal Box: The Story of a Special Boy and the People Who Loved Him by Ken Gire
- Book, DVD: Wemmicks Series by Max Lucado (series of books/DVDs that help children learn general concept that their worth isn't based on what they look like or what they can do but on God)
For General Help Go To: Understanding ADHD, Autism, CAPD, Physical & Mental Disabilities